* Note: Soybean condiment (mein see) can be found in Asian and Oriental markets. Mix all ingredients together with the exception of the garnish. You need to whip this dish to make it smooth, so I suggest a good electric mixer. Otherwise, do it by hand and beat the blazes out of this stuff. Roll into small meatballs about 1 1/4-inches in diameter. Press some of the greens into a steaming bowl and top with the meatballs. Steam the meatballs in several dishes, steaming each, or all together, for that matter, for about 15 minutes. It is best to use your bamboo steaming racks for these dishes. This recipe makes about 20 dim sum. Hint: To keep meatballs from sticking to your hands, simply moisten your hands in between each molding of a meatball. Comments: This is a quicky. Buy good hamburger and do something special in almost no time at all. I love these meatballs.
Recipe From: The Frugal Gourmet by Jeff Smith
225 gm beef; trimmed and sliced
1 tablespoon oil
1 1/2 tablespoon panang curry paste
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup peas
1 red chili peppers; shredded
1. Stir-fry oil and curry paste until fragrent. (You may want to have the fan turned up full in the kitchen... this gets very pungent!)
2. Add remain ingrediants and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook for 10 min.
Garnish with chili and serve with steamed rice.
Carne Asado (Mexican Style Beef Tips And Gravy)
1 lb beef stew meat
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1 onion, grated
1 teaspoon cumin, ground
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
2 can tomato sauce (or 1 large)
1 granule style beef bouillon
Sort through stew meat trimming excess fat, gristle. Cut into 1" pcs. if necessary. In med. size, heavy bottom pot, place enough bacon drippings or melted lard to cover bottom. Place stew meat, garlic and onion in pot and saute untill meat is lightly browned. Add water to cover and two or three tbs. beef bouillon, cumin, pepper and tomato sauce. Cover. Simmer on low heat until meat is tender. Toward end of cooking time (abt. 1 hr.) add flour to thicken and continue simmering , stirring from time to time, der additional 10 min. Remove from heat and serve with spanish rice (Sopa de Arroz) and refried beans. Salsa cruda, Pico de Gallo are good garnishes. Coarsely chopped lettuce and tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. Serve with warm flour tortillas, or make soft tacos.
3/4 lb boneless beef top round steak
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 cup tomato juice
1/4 cup raisins
1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon cornstarch
Trim fat from meat. Thinnly slice across the grain into bite-size strips. Preheat a coated non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pepper and onion and stir-fry for 2 minutes; remove vegetables and set aside. Add cooking oil to skillet. Add beef and stir-fry over high heat for 2 minutes or till nearly done. Add curry powder; stir-fry for 1 minute more. Carefully stir in tomato juice, cooked vegetables, raisins, and bouillon granules. Stir together cold water and cornstarch. Stir into meat mixture. Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Serve over hot rice.
Filet Of Beef With Green Peppercorn Sauce
2 4 ounce filet mignons
2 tablespoon chopped shallots
2 tablespoon butter or margarine
2 tablespoon dijon mustard
2 tablespoon green peppercorns; slightly crushed
1/2 cup madeira
1/2 cup heavy cream; (1/2 to 3/4)
Heat a small skillet on high. When hot add the butter. Swirl butter in skillet to melt. Add filets and sauti until seared brown on both sides (4 ~ 5 minutes per side for 3/4 inch thickness, medium rare). Remove filets to a plate and tent with foil. Add shallots and mustard, and sauti 1 minute, do not brown. Deglaze pan with Madeira. Reduce heat to medium low and add heavy cream. Heat for 1 minute, add peppercorns. Crush peppercorns gently with back of a wooden spoon to release flavor. Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Raise heat and cook until just thickened. Serve filets with sauce spooned over top and garnish with sautied mushroom caps. Serve with new potatoes roasted with rosemary, garlic and parsley, and buttered baby carrots.
Notes: You can use this recipe for a whole or partial filet if you like. Cook a whole filet in the oven, or in a skillet if it will fit. Make sauce (increasing quantities as desired) using any bits scrapped off the roasting pan and a few tablespoons of strong beef stock. Slice beef on the bias, place on a platter and pour sauce over.
French Onion Beef
1 1/4 lb boneless beef round steak
1 pkg (8 oz) fresh slice mushrooms
1 large onion sliced into rings
1 can french onion soup condensed
1 pkg 15 minute herb stuffing mix
1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
Cut beef into 6 serving-size pieces. Layer half of the beef, mushrooms and onion in 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker; repeat layers. Pour soup over ingredients in slow cooker. Cover; cook on low setting for 8 to 10 hours or until beef is tender and no longer pink.
Before serving, toss stuffing mix and contents of seasoning packet with melted margarine and 1/2 cup liquid from pot. Place stuffing on top of contents in slow cooker; cover.
Increase heat to high setting. Cook 10 minutes or until stuffing is fluffy. Sprinkle with cheese; cover. Cook until cheese is melted.
3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
3 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cup tongue broth
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2 cup raisins
1 lemon, thin sliced/quartered
1 tablespoon butter
1 makes 1 1/2 cups
1. Place all ingredients into a kettle; add just enough boiling water to cover tongue.
2. Cover and simmer about 3 hours, or until tongue is tender.
3. Drain; reserve stock.
4. Remove skin and roots from tongue.
5. Serve with Raisin Sauce. Directions for Raisin Sauce: 1. Mix brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; stir in beef broth and vinegar gradually; bring to boiling, stirring constantly.
2. Add raisins, lemon and butter.
3. Cook and stir until raisins are plump and sauce is thickened.
Irish Spiced Beef
6 1/2 lb beef
3 single bay leaves
10 single cloves
5 single blades mace
1 crushed clove garlic
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 lb salt (about 2 cups)
1 1/2 tablespoon saltpeter
1 bunch fresh herbs
3 sliced carrots
3 sliced onions
Note: prepare 7 days in advance of eating! -- Wipe meat over with a damp cloth. Mix seasoning ingredients together except for carrots, onions and fresh herbs. Rub seasoning well into meat; then lay mean on bed of seasoning. Leave in a cool place (preferably not refrigerated, though). Repeat rubbing each day. On the seventh day, put the meat into a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boiling point and simmer gently for 5 hours, when it should be tender. Put cooked meat on a flat dish and cover with a board. Set weight on top of board until meat is cold, when it is ready to carve and eat.
3 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1/2 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch in 1 t water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 pinch pepper and salt
Marinate beef slices for 30 minutes. Heat wok with 2 T oil and garlic for 30 seconds, add beef, cook for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, remove and drain oil. Set aside. Heat wok, high, add tomato wedges and stir for 2 minutes, then add sauce mixture. Thicken if too watery. Return beef and stir well and serve hot.. Serve immediately.
The Icons below will guide you to the other Beef Recipe Pages