6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups warm water (110° F/45° C)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons shortening
1 pound finely chopped pork
1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 1/2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
1. Dissolve 1/4 cup sugar in 1 3/4 cups warm water, and then add the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until mixture is frothy. Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons shortening and the yeast mixture; mix well.
2. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and cover it with a sheet of cling wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place for about 2 hours, or until it has tripled in bulk.
3. Cut the pork into 2 inch thick strips. Use fork to prick it all over. Marinate for 5 hours in a mixture made with 1 1/2 tablespoons light soy sauce, 1 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce, and 1 teaspoon sweet soy sauce. Grill the pork until cooked and charred. Cut roasted port into 1/2 inch cubes.
4. Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce, oyster sauce, and 1 cup water in a saucepan. Bring to the boil. Mix cornstarch with 2 1/2 tablespoons water; add to the saucepan, and stir until thickened. Mix in 2 tablespoons lard or shortening, sesame oil, and white pepper. Cool, and
mix in the roasted pork.
5. Remove the dough from the bowl, and knead it on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth and elastic. Roll the dough into a long roll, and divide it into 24 pieces. Flatten each piece with the palm of the hand to form a thin circle. The center of the circle should be thicker than the edge. Place
one portion of the pork filling in the center of each dough circle. Wrap the dough to enclose the filling. Pinch edges to form the bun. Let the buns stand for 10 minutes.
6. Steam buns for 12 minutes. Serve.
Makes 2 Dozen Rolls
Hungarian Cabbage Rolls
Put one large head cabbage in large pot of salted boiling water.
Boil on medium for 20 minutes or till tender. Leave it on the stove and with a knife and fork, cut off one leaf at a time and follow the following directions:
Work together with hands .
1 lb. hamburger
1 lb. sausage
1/2 small box instant brown rice
2 large diced onions
1/2 pod diced green pepper
1 T. parsley
4 T. kraut
4 T. canned tomatoes, diced
1 t. salt
1 t. pepper.
Grease bottom of large pot.
place about 1/2 cup mixture on cabbage roll and roll up like an egg roll, tucking ends and trimming hard core top.
Line pot with cabbage rolls.
Sprinkle about 1 cup kraut and 1 cup tomatoes over rolls.
Repeat to make 2 to 4 layers.
Cook on medium heat for about 2 hours
1 can Lg. oysters
2 cups fine cracker crumbs ( I crumble my crackers and put them into a gallon size zip lock baggie and roll them with my rolling pin)
1 cup milk
1 1/2 cup flour
dash of salt
Mix eggs and milk and set aside.
Blot oysters and then roll them in the flour.
Dip oysters into the milk mixture.
Roll oysters in the fine cracker crumbs.
Deep Fry in Fry Daddy till golden brown.
10 large Idaho Potatoes
3-4 cups cooking oil
Scrub potatoes til skin is clean
Wrap them in paper towels to soak up fluids.
Cut into fourths and then cut the fourths again if they are too thick.
Deep Fry until they are golden brown.
Sprinkle with All Salt as soon as they're drained.
Black-Eyed Peas and Sausage
1 lb white onions, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cups parsley, chopped
1 1/2 lbs salt pork, boiled once, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 lbs. hot smoked sausage, cut into 1/2in pieces
1/2 lb dried blackeyed peas, boiled until half done
6 c water
1 1/2 lbs rice
Sauté onions, pepper, garlic, and parsley in Dutch oven with 2 tbs olive oil.
Add salt meat, sausage, black-eyed peas, and rice.
Add water and bring to boil.
Mix well, cover, and reduce heat to low.
Cook 45 minutes.
Remove cover 5-10 minutes before serving.